At Dolphin Pools & Spas, not only are we a proud dealer of Bullfrog Spa products that provide the ultimate in hot tub luxury, we also offer tips and expertise on the long-term care of all our hot tubs and spas. From filtration and water needs to basic operation and even minor repair areas, we’re happy to offer simple advice or draw on our years of experience with hot tub service and installation.
One issue that’s possible on the acrylic section of a given hot tub is scratching or cracking. Sometimes caused by direct impact, but often caused by water pressure issues that risk expansion of the problem, these scratches or cracks should be attended to relatively quickly – and luckily, this is an easy process any handy homeowner can perform. Here are some basic steps to repairing simple scratches or cracks in your hot tub.
Identify the Issue
For starters, take the time to investigate the problem and determine its true severity. Are you looking at a minor scratch that’s just etched your surface, or a deeper crack that’s damaged the underlying material? The latter issue may be one where you should notify professionals, while the former is usually easy enough to remedy on your own.
One other important area to consider here: Your warranty. If your hot tub came with a warranty, it’s vital to check into whether the damage is covered by this before you attempt any repairs. Many warranties are immediately voided if you attempt self-repairs, so do not make this mistake before checking.
Supplies and Equipment
If you determine the issue is one you can repair easily enough, it’s time to prep your supplies and equipment. Some basic items to ensure you have present:
- Hot tub cleaner: There are several options when it comes to basic acrylic hot tub cleaners.
- Soft towel: You want as soft a towel as possible so there’s no abrasiveness damaging the surface.
- Drill and rotary bit: For larger cracks, you’ll need these to grind down the edges.
- Acrylic repair kit: There are many such kits designed specifically for hot tub acrylic materials.
- Sandpaper: For sanding and smoothing the shell.
- Protective glasses and gloves, particularly if you’re attempting repairs on deeper cracks.
Here are some basic steps to repairing hot tub acrylic:
- Drain the hot tub and disconnect it from the power source for safety.
- Dry the impacted area with your towel, plus clean it with your cleaner.
- Using the instructions in your acrylic repair kit, apply materials as needed. Many smaller scratches or cracks will not require the entire kit, while larger ones may. For larger cracks, use your drill and bit to grind the edges into a V-shape before filling in with material.
- Allow the applied material to dry for the requisite amount of time.
- And any rough edges or bumpy sections after drying.
- Buff and clean the area.
- Refill the tub with hot water, then check the area again to ensure there are no leaks or other concerns.
For more on repairing a scratch or crack in your hot tub, or to learn about any of our new swimming pools or spa products, speak to the staff at Dolphin Pools & Spas today.